Sunday, January 3, 2016

Enthusiasm


SUNDAY 01/03/16 23:10 Basement Office

Day three.  Took a 3.4 mile walk outside in the 15 degree weather.  My dog was un-phased by the cold.  He is so enthusiastic about exploring.  Doesn’t matter if he’s been there 500 times, it’s still brand new to him.  Since I can’t smell I wonder what that is like for him to stick his nose in every nook and cranny. 

Today got me thinking about mortality.  What would I want said at my funeral?  What music would I want played on the day that remembers my life?  I don’t want it to be depressing.  I don’t want it at a church because I want my animals to have a chance to smell my body and understand I’m not coming back.  My favorite hymn of all time is All Creatures of Our God and King played by the Newsboys.  Second favorite rendition is by David Crowder Band.  Those two songs have to be played.  It would be a strange exercise to write your own obituary.  That will be something for another day.  It would start, "He loved his wife, his kids, and his animals with an equality that could only be understood by those who knew him."  That's a good start.  But for now, may I learn to live with as much excitement and enthusiasm as my dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment