Friday, January 1, 2016

Highline Trail Utah Preparation


2015 was a hard year.  I turned 40.  My weight got up to 290 pounds.  I had atrial fibrillation, and my heart was shocked back into rhythm in the E.R.  I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and learned to sleep with a mask.  I closed a business and went through bankruptcy.  Yes, my thirties were better. 

Even though my forties started out on a low note, I am excited to see the rest of this decade of my life improve.  2016 is fresh and exciting.  I’m not a big fan of the term “New Year’s Resolution,” but the end of a year is a good time to reflect on what went wrong and what can be better the following year. 

For years, I tried working 6 days a week, and putting everything I had into a failing business, that I always thought could be revived and saved.  That ended in problems with my health and ultimately was not the smartest way to correct problems.

I used to hike mountains a lot.  I grew up in Southern California just above sea level at about 1,200 feet. My friends and I hiked the mountains above Fontana regularly.  The high points were Mount Baldy (10,064 feet) and Mount San Gorgonio (11,503 feet).  Last year my brother and I broke my personal altitude record and hiked Mount Timpanogos to an elevation of 11,752.  However, I live above 5,000 feet now so the elevation change isn’t as dramatic, but it is still very hard to gain over 5,000 feet in elevation in a day. 

This year I have some new goals.  I’ve never hiked alone.  I want to cross the Uintah mountains in Utah on the Highline trail from the East side to the West as a solo trip. That is an 80 mile trek.  It has 5 points that are higher that I have been before.  Dead horse pass is 12,200 feet, Red Knob Pass is 12,248 feet, Porcupine Pass is 12,236 feet, Kings Peak is 13,528 feet, and North Pole Pass is 12,256 feet.  Most of the rest of the hike is at an altitude similar to my previous maximum.  80 miles in 10 days with 10 days of gear seems daunting but doable.  I can only go if I’ve lost enough weight.  I’ve gotta be under 250 pounds and get my pack down to start at around 60 pounds.  I know the pack could be much lighter, but I like being comfortable once at camp and am willing to work harder when hiking to have a more comfortable bed when I get there. 

So it begins.  Start training 21 miles a week.  Eat better, Sleep 8 hours per night.  Stay motivated.  Don’t get hurt.  Pray for success.

10 DAYS
80 MILES
5 PERSONAL ELEVATION RECORDS
ALONE.



No comments:

Post a Comment