Friday, April 30, 2010

"Is there another lactating female in the house"

I am feeling disturbed.

My wife just sent me a text message from her women's conference. She typed that they announced over the P.A. system, "One of our new mother's needs a a breast pump. Is there another lactating female in the house? Did anyone bring a breast-pump?" My wife finished her text with, "Only at women's conference..."

WHAT?

My wife has gone over to the dark side. She didn't respond, "That's gross!" or "How unsanitary!" She didn't even question if there were any lactating males in the house. Instead, she sounded sympathetic. Like this is perfectly normal, like groups of girls heading to the bathroom together.

I'm thinking about dressing in black, loading a grappling hook and some ninja stars in the truck and heading south to rescue her. She is obviously a prisoner.

Am I the only person who finds this alarming? We raised three babies. I know how it works. Babies grow fast and mom produces lots of milk. Every couple of hours that has to be relieved.
But do you really want your breast coupled to the woman's pump who thinks sharing is OK? How many others have borrowed her pump? This sounds like an initiation into the wet-nurse sorority, a new division of the Le Leche League. They probably have a three step plan.

Step one: get women to be sympathetic towards other women who share breast pumps.
Step two: get women to share breast pumps.
Step three: get women to wet-nurse.
Step four: take over the world with communally fed warriors.

I'm trying to compare this event to the male world. I played a lot of baseball as a kid. I can't remember anyone ever announcing over the loudspeaker, "Excuse me folks, little Jacques Trapp forgot his cup this morning, did anyone bring an extra one he can borrow?"

THAT NEVER HAPPENS!

Please comment below and tell me if you think I shouldn't be disturbed, and sharing breast pumps is normal. You might save me from hurting myself while grappling over a wall to rescue my wife tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Ok I'm laughing with tears streaming down my face! That is not NORMAL! Maybe in Utah... and only if it was sterilized! Sam and I like your blog. You're quite the writer!

    ReplyDelete